“And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;” Ephesians 6:17 New King James Version
Words have power. The tongue can be even more powerful than a double-edged sword. We can cut people down or build them up with our tongue. Watch your words. Words have power. But the Word of God is the most powerful.
Thoughts come to your mind and those thoughts form words. Whenever it is time to hear the Word of God, expect a battle. The enemy will say things like, “Why are you going to church?” “You don’t need to pray” or “A little sin doesn’t matter.” We must fight these thoughts with the Word of God.
The Word of God is part of the whole armor of God. A sword is an offensive weapon as well as a defensive weapon. It can destroy the lies of the enemy and his schemes against us.
- Psalm 138:2 New King James Version – I will worship toward Your holy temple, And praise Your name For Your lovingkindness and Your truth; For You have magnified Your word above all Your name.
The Word of God is higher than anything on this earth. God watches over His Word to perform it. If it is in the Word, we can believe it and stand on it. It shall come to pass.
POINT ONE – The Word of God is spiritual food.
- Matthew 4:4 New King James Version – Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.
- Sometimes you are weak because you are not eating spiritual food. Spiritual food gives us strength in the inner man.
- The Word of God can give you power to keep going when life is difficult.
- Psalm 34:8 New King James Version – O taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man than trusts in Him.
POINT TWO: The Word is Our Guide.
- Psalm 119:105 New King James Version – Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.
- Everyone in life has to deal with problems– no matter what your status in life. Every problem is a wisdom problem.
- Who better to go to for wisdom than God? Every time we read the Word of God we are getting the wisdom of God.
- There is no way we can put all our dependence on God and end up in a ditch. God will lead us to the best direction and the right course of action.
POINT THREE: The Word of God MUST be spoken.
- If we want things to change we must speak life over it. We must speak the Word of God.
- God created everything that exists by the Word from His mouth.
- We are God’s children and we are to imitate God by speaking what we want to see, BEFORE, we see it.
- Hebrews 11:1-3 New King James Version – Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good testimony. By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.
- Mark 11:23 New King James Version – For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says.
- WATCH WHAT YOU SAY!
POINT FOUR: The Word of God must be hidden in your heart.
- The enemy knows the value of the Word of God. He lurks about waiting to steal the Word of God from us through distraction, deception and lies.
- 1 Peter 5:8 New King James Version – Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.
- When we know the Word, we cannot be shaken by the lies of the enemy and false doctrine.
- Psalm 119:11 New King James Version – our word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You.
- The Word of God will keep us from sinning if we want to be kept.
POINT FIVE: The Word of God is living and powerful.
- The Bible is unlike any other book. It is alive!
- Hebrews 4:12 New King James Version – For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
- We become super strong like super heroes through the Word of God. When we speak the Word and obey the Word, we have access God’s power for the situation.
If we work the Word, the Word will work for us.