If you don’t have issues with the devil, that means you are on his side. The devil is not your friend. He is not a friend to anyone. The enemy has issues with all of God’s children because God loves us. The enemy doesn’t like the fact that people were created in the image and likeness of God.
- Genesis 1:26-27 New King James Version – 26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over [a]all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
Some people don’t like to talk about the devil. Some people don’t believe in the devil. But, that doesn’t change the fact that he is your enemy. He actively seeks to destroy people all day, every day. The Bible tells us…
- John 10:10 New King James Version – The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.
Anybody that loses their soul to the devil, does so because they have given their soul over to the enemy. That doesn’t have to be you or I. Make a decision to commit your life to Jesus Christ. The crowd that runs with Jesus is small. But, the crowd that runs with the enemy is large because he distracts them with sinful pleasures.
- Matthew 7:13-14 New King James Version– 13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.
The enemy uses three lures to lead people astray from God. We must fight against these three lures with all our strength:
- The lust of the flesh
- The lust of the eyes
- The pride of life
This is what happened to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.
- Genesis 3:6 New King James Version – So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate.
We must be careful of the desire to want more than what God has already given us. The flesh always wants to be in control. It always wants to sin against God and sin is never satisfied. One sin leads to more sin.
- 1 John 2:15-18 New King James Version – 15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.
Good boundaries protect us from the lures of the enemy. The enemy is called the adversary and a wolf in sheep’s clothing. A sheep is the only animal who doesn’t have any natural defenses. If you only call on God when you need Him, then you need the Lord right now! We need the Lord to defend us from the enemy’s attacks.
The enemy attacks us like a snake–he uses snakebite that is full of poisonous venom. Then he waits for the sin to work. Sin separates us from God. But because of what Jesus did for us on the cross, we can be forgiven of our sins.
- 1 John 1:9 New King James Version – If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
The devil’s words can lead you to hell. The enemy’s words are lies. If you believe his lies, those lies will lead you to hell. Learn to recognize the enemy’s tactics and his lies so you can avoid him or rebuke him. Don’t let the enemy use you to lure other people to sin or to act contrary to the character of God.
- Ezekiel 28:13-15 New King James Version – You were in Eden, the garden of God; Every precious stone was your covering: The sardius, topaz, and diamond, Beryl, onyx, and jasper, Sapphire, turquoise, and emerald with gold. The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes Was prepared for you on the day you were created. 14 “You were the anointed cherub who covers; I established you; You were on the holy mountain of God; You walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones. 15 You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created, Till iniquity was found in you.
The enemy convinced one-third of the angels to rebel against God. The enemy is proud and rebellious. He was in charge of the music in heaven. The enemy uses music (with ungodly lyrics) to feed sinful seed into your soul. This can happen subliminally without you even realizing it.
If we learn to humble ourselves, we can protect ourselves from the devil’s devices.
- James 4:6-8 New King James Version – 6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.” Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
Whoever we obey is our father.
- John 8:44 New King James Version – 44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.
When we want to obey God and practice obeying Him, God is our Father.
- 1 John 2:3-5 New King James Version – 3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him.