We must value our relationship with Jesus more than anything or anyone else in this world. We must fight for our salvation and protect it. Offenses will come. We must overcome offense with love. Persecution, hatred, trials and tribulation will come. But be of good cheer, Jesus has overcome the world. We can overcome too–through Jesus Christ.
- Jude 1:3 – Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.
There is nothing in the world that is better than what God has for us.
- 2 Peter 2:20-22 New King James Version – 20 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. 22 But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: “A dog returns to his own vomit,” and, “a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire.”
We must keep the faith. So how do we do it?
FIRST: We must have a made up mind.
- Matthew 6:24 New King James Version – “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.
We can’t serve God and money. We can’t be double-minded. You’re either saved or you are not. You are either going to heaven or hell. You are either with Jesus or not. Expect the enemy to do anything to tempt you away from the faith. So expect to keep fighting for your faith until you die or Jesus comes to gather His church
SECOND: We must fight. You might take a hit, but keep on fighting. We are fighting for our very souls. The stakes are high–everlasting life with God in Heaven or everlasting separation from God and torment in the lake of fire forever.
- 2 Timothy 4:7 New King James Version – I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Bible study is good, but it is not good enough. Knowing scripture is good and quoting it is good, but it is not good enough. We need the power of the Holy Ghost.
- John 16:7 New King James Version – Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.
- Romans 8:13-14 New King James Version – For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
Consider the Apostle Paul who suffered greatly for his faith in Christ and willingness to preach the gospel.
- 2 Corinthians 11:23-33 New King James Version –23 Are they ministers of Christ?—I speak as a fool—I am more: in labors more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequently, in deaths often. 24 From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep; 26 in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; 27 in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness— 28 besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches. 29 Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is made to stumble, and I do not burn with indignation? 30 If I must boast, I will boast in the things which concern my infirmity. 31 The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who is blessed forever, knows that I am not lying.
But we are more than conquerors through Christ Jesus. We are not defeated Christians. We are victorious Christians. Refuse to stay down. Get up in Christ and fight the good fight of faith.