“But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly. For it will come as a snare on all those who dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man.”
Luke 24:34-36 New King James Version
In order to go to heaven with the Lord we must be ready at all times. Just like we would prepare for an earthly wedding, we must prepare for Heaven. Our God is a holy God. Jesus (God Himself) died for our sins and resurrected so He could pay the price for our sins and make us holy. Walking in holiness is a process that we must do daily. Holiness takes preparation. Just as we prepare for life on earth, we must also prepare to enter life in Heaven.
The Lord could come at any time to take His believers to Heaven OR we could die at any time. No man knows the day or hour of either, so we must be prepared at all times.
- Matthew 24:36 King James Version – But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
Preparation for Heaven will be difficult in the last days because so many people will have hearts that have grown cold toward God.
- 2 Timothy 3:1-5 King James Version – 3 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 4 Traitors, heady, high-minded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; 5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
Beware of distractions that lead you away from the Lord. Distractions can come in the form of: relationships, career, business, the anxieties of life, recreation, etc.
Be watchful, prayerful and careful. We must pray for the Holy Spirit to lead us in what watch and listen to. We must be wise and pray for discernment in order to make godly choices each day. If we pray and ask for guidance, the Holy Spirit will lead us in the way that we should go.
Listen for the Voice of the Lord Jesus and obey Him.
- John 10:27-28 New King James Version –27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.
Be bold for the Lord and never be ashamed of the Gospel.
- Romans 1:16 New King James Version – For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
Preparation is what we do now–for later. Here are a few ways we can prepare:
- Prepare your heart NOW. (Focus on improving the condition of your heart toward God instead of your outward appearance.)
- Jeremiah 17:9-10 King James Version – The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.
- Psalm 51:9-10 King James Version – Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
Change starts in our heart. Let’s prepare our hearts for Heaven.