"Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 10:14
Christ has done everything that needs to be done for our salvation. Jesus did it all. We can’t be good enough. There’s not enough good deeds we can do that will help us obtain salvation. Jesus paid that cost all on the Cross. Only Jesus gives us salvation. Not Jesus plus my works, or Jesus plus my church membership or Jesus plus my tithes and water baptism gives us salvation.
However, our daily walk with the Lord is our job. God won’t make us obey or choose to live holy. Those are choices we have to make. God wants us to desire to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit and desire to spend time in His Word.
- Hebrews 10:14 – Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord:
So how do we walk victoriously in Christ? Consider other professions that require their employees to wear a uniform, like nurses, police officers, firefighters, etc. If they were to show up without a uniform, they would be sent home. In God’s Word, the believer is required to wear the uniform of Jesus Christ and put away the uniform of the carnal man.
If we truly are in Christ, we should be changing. We should becoming more and more like Christ. We can’t walk the old lifestyle and the new life in Christ at the same time.
No man can serve two masters.
- Matthew 6:24 – No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.
Jesus once told a group of people, “You are of your father the devil,” because they were not heeding the Word of God or Jesus’ teachings. We get to choose who we want to serve. We can serve God or the devil, but not both! This word is for people who want to have a SERIOUS walk with the Lord. We all have an “old man”, our sinful flesh, that wants to live again. We must put off the old man (carnal nature) and make him die daily.
There is a cost to walk with the Lord. The cost is paid along the way. There are things that must be put off, that will cost us to put it off. There are things we must put on, that will cost us to put it on. For example it costs us to put on the whole armor of God (Read Ephesians 6).
When the enemy comes in like a flood, God will put up a standard. When the enemy comes at us, we must hold up God’s standard and resist. But for some people, when the tough gets going, they get gone!
- Colossians 3:1-4 – If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory. 5 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience,
We put too much value on things on this earth. God is not going to ask us how well we did on our earthly jobs and possessions. WE MUST SET OUR AFFECTION ON THINGS ABOVE!
When we are in the business world, we should operate our business on kingdom principles. Our life and work ethic should point people to Jesus.
The old man has to die when we are born again. We can be the old man and the new man at the same time. We have to put off…
- Idolatry (Don’t make family and your children your God. Don’t let what your child says rise above what God says. Don’t let a job, a spouse or even ministry your God. Don’t worship material possessions)
- cursing and dirty language
Don’t let your flesh dominate your spirit. Don’t participate in presumptuous sin. Presumptuous sin is sin you plan on doing and maybe even plan on repenting of. That is not true repentance. If you really love God, your love for God will be tested without and within. Your thought life will be tested. That’s where the enemy plants the seed–in your thought life. The enemy knows what you like from observing you and he will lurk until an opportune time to test you.
We must get away from sexual sin. There are so many broken hearts because of sexual sin. God tells us to mortify sexual sin because it hurts us and the others who participate in us with it. Don’t be fooled by late night calls with a pretense of a godly purpose–like a 2 am prayer visit with someone you are attracted to. If we are not careful, instead of running from sin, we will be running to sin.
If we are Christians, why would we play with a person’s emotions if we know we don’t plan on committing to them? If we crush someone’s heart, God will hold us accountable. Also, we will sow what we reap. God is a God of love, but He is also a God of wrath. We can’t be a player in the Body of Christ. There are no Christian players.
If we really want to walk with the Lord, we have to make changes in our wicked ways. That is our part. We have to use the Word of God and the power of the Holy Spirit to put off our sinful flesh. God can deliver us if we submit to His will. Every time we take a step towards obedience, God steps in and helps us.
The enemy is not going to sit back and watch you grow in God without putting up a fight. So fight the good fight of faith because your eternal life with Christ is worth it. We don’t have to be a sitting duck for the enemy. We have to fight every day to hold onto the precious gift of salvation Jesus died for us to have.
- 1 Timothy 6:12-13 New King James Version – Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 13 I urge you in the sight of God who gives life to all things, and before Christ Jesus who witnessed the good confession before Pontius Pilate,
Let’s not forget where we came from and judge those who are stumbling harshly. Don’t expect a new Christian to live up to the standard it took us ten years to get to. Pray for them, encourage them in the Word and help them. And, never stop growing in God, we will all have areas that need to be corrected until Jesus comes.
Christians, we have to be on guard against cursing and anger. These behaviors are not acceptable just because they are so common in the world. Even we as Christians, can have wicked ways. Don’t listen to dirty jokes and fill your mind with dirty things. Put off gossiping. Don’t use sharing for the purpose of prayer as an excuse to gossip.
God commands us to put it off. So just do it. Lie not one to another.
If people could build a house on a lie, how many people would have mansions? Don’t tell lies to each other or on each other. Lying is not of God, it is of the devil. He is called the father of lies. We want to be like God the Father, not the devil!
- Colossians 3:9-11 Living Bible – Don’t tell lies to each other; it was your old life with all its wickedness that did that sort of thing; now it is dead and gone. 10 You are living a brand new kind of life that is continually learning more and more of what is right, and trying constantly to be more and more like Christ who created this new life within you. 11 In this new life one’s nationality or race or education or social position is unimportant; such things mean nothing. Whether a person has Christ is what matters, and he is equally available to all.
If we refuse to put these wicked ways off, we are proving that we really don’t want to serve God. We all must be taught to tell the truth. We shouldn’t have a desire to sin or run with people who want to stay in sin. If we change our behavior, some people will cut us off. We won’t even have to worry about separating ourselves from them.
If we fall into sin, we don’t stay there. Instead, confess sin to God, repent (stop doing that behavior) and get back up again. Keep serving the Lord. Keep trying to do better and be better–that is our reasonable service to the Lord.
- 1 John 1:9 – If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
When we die no one can put us into heaven by talking about our accomplishments or good deeds. We must make sure our life of living for the Lord speaks for itself.
- Revelation 3:21 – To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
KEEP THIS IN MIND: When we’re at our highest point–that’s when the enemy comes. PRAY AFTER EVERY VICTORY AND STAY IN THE WORD. STAY UNDER THE VOICE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT AND OBEY HIM. THE HOLY SPIRIT WILL GUIDE US TO VICTORY!